Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Blackberry Storm


For Christmas I decided to get an upgrade for as my present from my parents. I upgraded from the LG enV to the Blackberry Storm. I was looking forward to having a touchscreen phone with the web browser, media player, and email. However when I finally had one I was disappointed. Then I sent it back for a Voyager, which I'm happy with. Physical Q-WERTY keyboards cant be beat.

1. The screen that clicks: I found using the click screen very irritating. While using the Q-WERTY keyboard I often typed to fast and wouldn't press down fast enough and mess up what I was typing. Not only that but it started to hurt the fingers after typing a long message.
2. The battery life: It was average for a smartphone I guess, although I couldn't go through a day without charging it. I would charge it overnight then use it from 8AM-6PM and it would die and need to be charged, which was very annoying because I simply don't have a few hours to let my phone sit on the charger during my day. This is without even using the media player for music or video, that would have killed the battery even quicker.
3. Texting and Emailing: Everything in this area is very straight forward and easy to use. The only downfall in the click screen. Includes AIM, Windows Messenger, Yahoo, Gmail, and so on.
4. Media: With the 8GB card that comes with the phone space is not a problem, so you can fill up your phone with music and video. The Storm has a 3.5mm jack so any standard headphones can be used. The quality of sound is pretty good and videos look great on the screen. I had no real issues in this area.
5. Games/Apps: There are 2 games that came with the blackberry but there wasn't any other games available at the time(there still might not be). The Verizon app store still hasn't been launched for the Storm, threre is a few apps that can be downloaded from sites like google and facebook but still not enough.
6. Calling- Calls sound good, I never really had low bars either. The Storm has blue tooth support and speaker phone. Nothing special here, pretty standard
7. Camera: The camera works pretty well and quality isn't bad. However I had some software issues where the camera would randomly come on and would be hard to turn off, other than that I didn't see any issues.
8. OS: The concept for the OS works fairly well, except the it is really slow at times and the accelerometer sometimes takes up to 10 seconds to flip when the phone is moved.

The bottom line: The Storm brings some good ideas to the table, but the sluggish OS, frustrating click screen, lack of apps, and no wifi make this phone a flop. If you are picking between this and the Iphone, the Iphone is a clear winner. The biggest problem is not being able to enter text fast, and since you will do a lot of typing on this phone I cant reccomend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment